Mourners at the Srebrenica commemoration. Photo: Anadolu.
Crowds of mourners gathered on Monday at the genocide memorial centre in the village of Potocari near Srebrenica to commemorate the victims killed by Bosnian Serb forces in July 1995.
Buses brought people from all over the country for the 21st anniversary commemoration of the massacres of more than Bosniak 7,000 men and boys.
Flowers were laid and there were Muslim prayers for 127 victims who had been identified over the past year and whose remains were buried at the memorial site.
The youngest of the victims was Avdija Memic, who was 14 years old when he was killed.
Srebrenica mayor Camil Durakovic told the memorial ceremony that the search for about 1,000 more victims continues, and called on anyone who knew where more bodies are buried to inform the authorities.
He also called on Bosniaks who fled Srebrenica during wartime to return to live in the town.
“Justice will be our revenge. The laughter of our children, who will come here and live here, will be our revenge,” Durakovic said.